Batida is Portuguese for shaken or milkshake. de Coco is coconut milk and watermelon with coconut milk is a cool drink on a hot summer’s day. In Tonga they call this ‘Otai (oh-tie). Its low in calories, high in nutrition and can be made with mango, quava, peach, pineapple, papaya, soursop or a combination of fruit like strawberries, watermelon and red grapes. Garnish with little umbrellas and fruit for a festive look.
If you add cachaca, Brazilian sugarcane liquor which is distilled sugarcane syrup, you’ll have a Brazilian cocktail. Cachaca should not be confused with rum which is made from sugarcane molasses.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 1 cup of watermelon flesh, seeded
- 1 cup of coconut milk (Coco Lopez brand sweetened)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice (or Roses Lime)
- cup of ice
- Place watermelon, coconut milk and lime juice in a blender and whirl for 30 seconds.
- Add ice and whirl until smooth.
- Pour over ice in tall glasses and garnish.