Running late today, no time to shop, driving home and thinking… dinner at 7:00…what do I have that’s fast and delicious. Still have mixed seafood, 1 chicken breast, kielbasa, rice, canned tomatoes…hmmm…paella. I have garlic, onions, saffron, cilantro, wine, stock. Yes, paella it is…on the stove top…too hot to turn on the oven! I made lavender lemonade Monday. Add a little bubbly (or a lot of bubbly) to that and make a salad. Enough!!! Voila, romantic dinner for 2. You’ve got to give this a try.
- 4 inches of kielbasa sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1/2 chicken breast, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 Tbsp chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- pinch of saffron (or 1/2 tsp each turmeric and paprika)
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or parsley flakes)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 dashes Tabasco sauce (or pinch cayenne pepper)
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup mixed seafood (or 8 prawns)
- In a 2-quart sauce pan over medium heat, fry sausage until fat is released.
- Add chicken pieces and fry for 5 or 6 minutes until they brown a little
- Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Cook until wilted and fragrant.
- Add wine and stir to the bottom of the pan.
- Add rice, stock, tomatoes, saffron, cilantro, bay leaf, Tabasco, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Cover pan and simmer for 14-15 minutes.
- Add seafood, continue simmering until rice is done and seafood is pink (about 5 minutes).
- If you haven’t got saffron, use annatto oil or turmeric and paprika.
- Use sweet Italian sausage or pieces of leftover pork chops instead of kielbasa.
- You can add peas, green beans, artichokes, or broccoli florets.
- Make this dish with just chicken or pork.